December 20, 2010

How much is enough?

So every year when we write the Christmas letter I struggle with knowing just how much information everyone really wants from us.  There have been years where the font is microscopic and I still can’t keep it to one page, and there have been years when I get it down to a quarter of a page in bulletized format!  I will never forget the year we sent out cards with a simple "Merry Christmas, Jim & Jayne," and the backlash it caused because there was no update!  What do people want?  Do you struggle with your Christmas letter too?

I remember back when Christmas letters were a fairly new idea.  I swore I'd never do one because I thought they were impersonal and that it was important to take the time to write a note in every card.  Then I changed my mind because time was short and it really was the quickest way to get out an update en masse.  But...for those first few years I still wrote the personal note AND the letter.  (Are you starting to understand why I ended up burning out on Christmas?)  I finally found balance  (I think) and came to enjoy the annual update.

But it got out of hand...really out of hand.  As I've worked tirelessly to get our letter down to a page or less, others have morphed into full newletters with fancy graphics and family pictures!  Am I about to swear I'll never do that only to cave in a few years?  I don't think so, but I won't back myself into that corner...just in case.  And maybe it's because we don't have children that our letter will probably never spin out of control again (probably, a girl needs to give herself an out), but I have to believe we can all find balance in the world of family updates and Christmas letters.

So I'm going to go out on a limb here and tell you exactly what I do and do not like in a Christmas letter.  I realize this will not make me popular but I did say I was always going to be honest with this blog so here goes:

I like letters that are kept to a page or less with a quick update on each person in the family.  It's even OK to update me on your pets if you have to.  I used to do it so how can I say you shouldn't?  Keep the font at a size most people can still read, at least a 10, and DO NOT shrink it down to size 6 so you can also tell me you re-landscaped the one foot square patch around your mailbox or that Junior now poops in the potty.  TMI.  In my advanced years my tendency towards ADD is growing and I scan the letters quickly as I'm sure most of you do too.  Maybe I need to slow down and enjoy the season more but I don't.  I can't say I'm pleased with the bah-humbuginess that has plagued me these past few years and I hope it goes away.  What won't go away is my impatience with novel-like Christmas letters.

On the flip side I can't stand cards that are only a family picture with no update at all.  I do want to know how you are and what is new in your life (unless you're going to talk about potty training, because again...ick and ew).  I know we are all very busy but just a teensy bit of what's going on with you and yours is always nice.  If you find yourself crossing the line towards 12 page newsletters with font size 6...fuhgetaboutit.  I'm not reading it.  Really.  I'll look at the pictures real quick and then file it to make sure I have your address correct for next year but that's it.  There's got to be a balance between too much and not enough.

As for when the cards get sent out, let's not stress about it, OK?  The 12 Days of Christmas actually start on Christmas and go through Epiphany, which is January 6.  Cut yourself some slack and don't strive for the perfect Christmas because believe me, it ain't happening.  Just be happy if you can manage to get something out at all.  I have a couple friends who've moved their annual updates to New Years and Easter in order to avoid the holiday stress - a very wise move if you ask me, and maybe you didn't but you're still reading this, aren't you?

So I'm about to write our letter and I can't seem to get past one paragraph and I think I'm cool with that.  We had a good year.  I'm still in school.  Jim got a new job.  We're taking a vacation.  We didn't move again.  We're happy and healthy.  The end.  Not enough?  Maybe.  Enough for you to know we're doing well and wishing you a happy holiday season?  You bet.



2 comments:

Willowbrook Mom said...

This is something I have struggled with over the years. I have been each of the types you describe in your post. Well... I've never written a 12 page 6 pt font missive, but I have done the front and back legal size with photos. Last year, I got lazy and did the family photo card, no message. I tried to strike a balance this year. I truly dislike the cards that are generic, no photo, signed love... ___ & ___. At our house we call them "why bother cards". Not just at Christmas, I hate those all year round. At least write a line or two! I do want to know how you are and what you've been up to! Good luck with the letter this year, Jayne! One paragraph is perfect.... better than prattling on... just like I did in this comment.

Kelly H-Y said...

Totally agree ... including the part about just the photo ... I want just a little info with it! :-) Though, I'd prefer to get just a photo than nothing at all ... then at least I get to see how everyone is growing and changing! Bottom line ... Christmas cards shouldn't be such a high-pressure thing!

Post a Comment