December 13, 2010

I used to say I don't like China

Today we watched a video of the 2008 Beijing Olympics Opening Ceremony in my lighting class.  The purpose was mainly to focus on the specialty lighting - spectacular - a little fun to end the quarter.  I was reminded what a spectacle that ceremony was.  Do you remember hearing the budget was $300 million???  I can't even fathom it.  That probably amounts to the interest on our national debt - money we probably owe to China.  But I digress.  That opening ceremony will probably go down in history as the best one ever.  Well, at least until China does it again, and I'm sure they will.  Other countries likely now tremble at the thought of even coming close to what the Chinese did.  I think the Brits are up next and you know they have a big wedding to plan for, so we'll see where all the money goes.

It seems like China has been thrust back into my life lately.  I went in 1991 and those who know me well will tell you I didn't like it.  I came back with mostly complaints and a faint appreciation for what at the time I was told, was the trip of a lifetime.  I was ungrateful.  Nearly 20 years later, China is a completely different country from the one I visited.  One of the "towns" we visited was a farming community back in 1991 and is now the 4th largest city in China (I think I have that right).  I know this because Jim (my husband) is now traveling to China on business on a regular basis.  He was thrilled at the prospect and all I could say was, "ugh, China."  He's always wanted to go and see it with me and I have always refused - swore I'd never go back.  I'm now warming up to the idea.  And yes, I realize I was a brat about not liking China during my first trip.  It was not what I expected and it was quite uncomfortable at times.  I did not travel well.  Age and experience have helped me understand this.

I mean really, I've climbed The Great Wall of China, been to the Forbidden City, the Summer Palace, the Ming Tombs.  That's a pretty big deal and I'm finally starting to appreciate it - only took 20 years.  It used to be something I just tossed into a conversation because it was unique, but now lots of people can, and do, go to China.  Human rights issues aside, China is a huge player on the world scene these days and we need to get used to it.  China is here to stay.  I plan to be more open minded about it and I even plan to go over there with Jim at some point.  I really would like to see how things have changed.  I'm not jazzed about the long flight but Jim's gained enough frequent flyer miles that maybe I can talk him into an upgrade to business class...

My thoughts on the subject are jumbled, but the reason I decided to write about China in the first place was hearing the Chinese National Anthem on the video today.  It brought back one of my best memories (and the good ones are few and far between) of the trip.  A little background; I went to China in 1991 for PLU's Centennial Celebration.  The University Orchestra and Choir of the West toured Japan, China and Hawaii.  As part of our program, the orchestra began the concert each night with either the Japanese or Chinese National Anthem and the Choir followed with our National Anthem.  While in Beijing, we performed for a factory choir.  The orchestra started the Chinese National Anthem and the audience stood and began singing.  It was beautiful.  We then started our National Anthem.  They remained standing.  We all started to cry as our director tried to keep us together.  It was such a powerful moment and for the second time today, the memory of it is bringing tears to my eyes.  These factory workers barely spoke a word of English but they knew our National Anthem and they respected it.  I'm not sure it can be said that many Americans would have done the same.  After the concert, several audience members found us in the parking lot and wanted to sing with us.  The only songs they knew in English were Christmas carols.  It was June.  We stood in the parking lot with them singing Silent Night, and I will never forget it.

I will go back to China in the coming year and I will look at it with the eyes of a much more mature woman.  And I will appreciate it.

4 comments:

AprilMay said...

I am fascinated by China! Such a long, interesting (sometimes brutal) history. I loved my trip there and I'm jealous you get to go again! We went when they were preparing for the Olympics and everyone was SO proud. Turns out, rightly so. But try seeing the Ming tombs with your dad... it was awkward. ;)

Jules said...

China may be a huge player in the world and I agree, has been for some time now, but I will continue to protest and boycott their fur industry and their disgusting treatment of animals.They are one of the worst countries in the world for this.I have no interest in visiting there and don't want to give them a single cent.I appreciate a ton of our goods here are 'Made in China' but I do my best to avoid them.I understand you see it through more mature eyes now and that's great.For me it's about closely held personal beliefs/ethics(that I'm not expecting anyone else to share) and I have no desire to change them.Sorry.It's one of my 'things'I guess.

Jayne Leighty said...

I appreciate your comment Jules, but I feel it is dangerous to make a sweeping generalization about an entire nation. There are cultural differences we do not understand and I'm fairly certain you would not appreciate a similar statement being made about all of New Zealand, especially if it was something you were not personally responsible for. I know you are passionate about animals so I get the sentiment.

Remember, China is still a developing nation. Are either of us sure there wasn't a time when one of our nations treated animals similarly? It was probably ages ago but I bet it happened. The Chinese learn and change at an amazingly fast pace. Is it not possible that someday they too will have animal rights policies? My preference would be they start with human rights, but either would be a positive step for me.

Jules said...

I know you understand where I come from regarding animals and I'm grateful for that.I really am talking generally about China with regards to this issue but please know I'm not saying all Chinese people are animal abusers. I'm a lot more aware than that.

However, as a nation-statistically-they ARE one of the worst in the world for this kind of thing.And sadly-although we don't have the same kind of fur trade here, New Zealand is appalling for it's treatment of animals also, which is why organisations like 'Paw Justice' got started here.I don't think it's dangerous to say so.I think it's true.

I can't watch the footage but there is a ton of it online about the live skinning of animals in China and it continues today.I also think this is a very small part of a much bigger picture in China(and yes, culturally they see things very differently to me.I accept that but I still think this is wrong) While they are forging ahead in some areas, things like this get swept under the rug and it's, simply, barbaric.

I would hope they they do learn/change this eventually.I also accept that much of it is driven by money and 'efficiancy'(the same thing that drives factory farming in other countries)I know China isn't the only one but it's still one of the worst.

There has never been(to my knowlege) live skinning of animals on a mass produced scale here in N.Z and I hope there never will be. I'm really not being holier than thou here.I'm ashamed of the level of animal abuse we have in N.Z and I'm doing what I can to help reduce it.

Any move China makes in reducing theirs would impress me.Addressing their human rights situation would too.

Post a Comment