March 3, 2011

"I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!"

Ever seen the movie Airplane? I know I saw it as a kid, just can't remember when... Having watched it again as an adult I cannot believe my parents let us watch it. Hearing Mrs. Cleaver drop the s-bomb changed my life, but I digress. Lloyd Bridges has one of the funniest scenes in the movie: as he's freaking out the plane will crash into the air traffic control tower he shouts (with an airplane glue bottle firmly shoved up his nose), "I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue!" - his response to what he assumes to be impending doom.

I have felt plenty of impending doom this quarter - lots and lots of deadlines with no end in sight. Guess what I decided would be a super great idea? I set a goal for myself. Gasp. It seemed like such a good idea at the time, a way to get myself back on track, start the new year off right, refresh. I gave up alcohol for roughly 90 days. Yes, I said it; I gave up alcohol between New Year's Day and my 40th birthday - roughly 90 days. I rose above Mr. Bridges' panic and did something smart for myself.

And then the quarter blew up in my face. I am by no means a heavy drinker; I really only enjoy beer and wine (and yes, Jen...margaritas!), and it is nice to come home after a stressful day and crack open a cold one. Except for the last 62 days (damn straight I'm counting) of stress, lack of sleep, deadlines, and dammit, I want a beer! But I set a goal and I will stick to it because that's what I do. In the end the airplane didn't knock out the tower and Mr. Bridges was fine. I will be too. Until then I'll just keep smelling Jim's glass of wine before he drinks it. It's just that...I picked the wrong quarter to...well...you know.

1 comment:

Ed said...

You can do it, Jayne! You can overcome the stressful quarter, and still smile through your alcohol sacrifice too. I am looking forward to a glass of wine with you an Jim in say, ten months - after this latest chemical adventure ends and I trust me liver again.

It's all a matter of perspective, you know?

Post a Comment