March 24, 2011

Shame on you!

Some of you know I'm more than a little irritated with the Chris Brown situation. He refuses to own what he did, passes it off as if it's not a big deal and says promoting his new album is what's most important. Pig. Been under a rock for the past few years and don't know what the heck I'm talking about? Chris Brown beat his (at the time) girlfriend Rihanna so badly, she was nearly unrecognizable and then denied it. She refused to admit it was Brown who did it too...at first. Ultimately Rihanna told the truth, forcing Brown to admit what he'd done. I have to wonder now after all that's happened this week, whether Brown would have admitted it had Rihanna let him off the hook - if he'd received treatment for his "issues", gone to court, done his time...wait...he didn't do any time.

Now Brown says he's paid for what he did and we should all move on and let him focus on his career. He appeared on Good Morning America a few days ago and his behavior was...well...the usual. The segment began with a short interview with Robin Roberts. The discussion was mainly about the album but she tossed in a few questions about the past and Brown did not respond well. At the time it seemed he was laughing it off and basically refused to answer Roberts' questions. It was the typical famous person avoiding the subject interview and turning the conversation to their own selfish advantage. I rolled my eyes. He performed. Show over.

Not so fast, an hour later it was reported Brown went ballistic after the interview, threw a chair at a window facing times square, yelled and screamed like the spoiled ass he is and then stormed out with his entourage. For days now, everyone with press credentials has been bandying the topic about, including Robin Roberts and I am disappointed in her response. Not only am I incensed with Brown and his behavior, but Robin Roberts is on my list too. I have watched her for the past few mornings, reporting on this event in a manner that makes me angry at and embarrassed for Robin. She is not handling it well.

First of all, I want to know why Brown wasn't arrested for his violent behavior? Maybe I'm missing something, but he could have seriously hurt someone with all that glass falling to the street below. Is this another case of the star treatment we are all so used to? Now, a journalist whom I usually respect, is letting him off the hook too. Robin Roberts has repeatedly said she forgives Brown, let's not make a big deal about it, come on back and we'll interview you again. Seriously? You sound like an abuse victim, Robin, and it is disgusting to me. Brown's behavior was unacceptable and evidence that he clearly has not "recovered." I don't care that you had an interview with him a year ago where you really connected and felt like you were friends. Brown treated you like crap on national television, trashed your studio and is now telling anyone who will listen that Good Morning America set him up and lied about the "talking points." You should be going after him like a piranha, Robin. He deserves it.

The only other option that makes sense to me is that Robin Roberts is pandering to get the interview. Barbara Walters is fast approaching retirement and Roberts has picked up many of her responsibilities in the Hollywood interview arena. This year the ABC Oscar special was hosted by Roberts, not Walters. Roberts has also hosted several specials in the past year ala Barbara Walters. See where this is headed? I do. For years, Walters has pandered to the rich and famous to get interviews and now Roberts is doing it. It makes me sick. I have loved Robin Roberts for years. She was the only female sportscaster I could stomach for quite a long time and I was thrilled when she joined Good Morning America, but she is changing...and it seems like it's for the fame. Maybe I got sucked into believing Robin Roberts was different because I wanted to believe she was better than most reporters. Maybe she was and then fame bit her just like it did Barbara Walters. I hope not.

So, shame on Chris Brown for his behavior. Shame on Robin Roberts for refusing to admonish it. Shame on me for believing a member of the media was different than any of the rest of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Jayne! I agree with you 100%

Ed said...

Did you email your blog address to GMA? I would. It might reach the right audience that way...

Just sayin'.

Kelly H-Y said...

Nicely put!!

Post a Comment